Lifestyle Family/Newborn Prep Guide by Sarah Borchgrevink Photography
Thank you for choosing me to photograph your family during this exciting time in your life! The following information is a prep guide to share some tips and tricks for having a great session experience. Let’s get started!
First and foremost: congratulations on your newest addition! Newborn photography is my specialty, and I welcome all things new and curly in my studio.
Studio and Office Details
The studio address is 4550 Post Oak Place Drive, Suite 203, Houston TX 77027. The studio is very spacious at 1,300 square feet. I fully remodeled it and truly put so much into making this my dream space!
When you arrive, please park in the parking lot. You will enter the building, use the elevator, and go to floor number two. I am in the north pod once you exit the elevator. Suite 203 is on the left, right past the bathrooms. There is also security on-site, too, and if you need help finding the studio, there is always someone in the lobby to assist. Moreover, there is a digital directory right next to the elevator.
In my studio you’ll find the following:
· Lobby and playroom
· All white lifestyle room for family and maternity
· Newborn room
· Mothers room for nursing and feeding
· Prop room filled with hundreds of luxury, custom items
· The bathroom is right down the hall from my studio space.
Studio hours are Monday – Friday from 6 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Saturday from 6 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Family/Sibling/Parent Images | What to Wear
Family, sibling, and parent images always are the first part of the newborn session. Here we capture the sweet, natural dynamics surrounding the love you have for your earthside cherub. We will use my all-white, lifestyle room and focus on connections, bonds, and showcasing the sweetness of welcoming your baby.
I have a small client wardrobe mothers may use for their session. It includes neutral gowns that photograph well in the space, typically in sizes that are small-large. They are flowy and timeless. You are welcome to use one for our session though if you have an outfit from home, you prefer that’s fine, too!
For siblings and Dad: please stick to neutrals, if possible, or muted pastels. Avoid neon colors. Orange, yellow, bright greens or pinks are not favorable. Colors that photograph well are light grey, tans, creams, white, and ivory. Seafoam, navy, mauve, and colors of this sort are lovely, too!
Dads look nice in a nicer pair of jeans or khaki pants, simple button up, or even a polo shirt without distracting labels. Moms can do a long maxi dress if they would like or cardigan, tank top, whichever you’re comfortable.
Children look lovely in jeans or khaki pants with a solid or neutral colored top. Little girls look darling in a simple cotton dress without any cartoon characters or distracting labels.
I love when parents bring a white onesie from home for some individual images of Baby; however, I will wrap them in coordinating organic, loose textile to keep them cozy and sleepy.
Preparing Baby | Before You Arrive At Studio
· The trick to a great newborn session is to keep Baby awake for one hour before you leave for the newborn session. Then feed Baby very well right before you get in the car to leave. We can go right into the session as soon as you arrive. By keeping Baby awake, they’ll be hungry, eat, and then be ready to sleep. the Fluffy, clean hair photographs well, too! To keep baby awake, play with their feet, tickle their toes, talk to them – I know it’s a lot of work to keep baby awake, but this makes for the best galleries.
· If you’re comfortable doing so, please bring a pacifier. If you’re not using one, I completely understand and respect your parenting wishes.
· If formula feeding or pumping, please bring extra milk. It’s always best to be over-prepared than be in the middle of a session and have nothing to feed the baby. Baby is happy with a full tummy. J
· If you have any props from home you’d like to incorporate, feel free to bring them. Sometimes parents bring wedding bands, a stuffed animal, special outfit, or a blanket/swaddle that is meaningful.
Once You Arrive | Everything You Need to Know
· When you arrive, please have a seat in the lobby. I may be finishing another session so I will greet you. I promise I am excited to meet you!
· We will use white noise during the session to help Baby sleep. The room will be about 74 degrees, but if Baby seems cold, we can add a space heater in easily. Baby will not be naked for any of these images, though I do my best to be flexible.
· We’ll go straight into the session and make sure everyone is comfortable and feels at ease.
During Your Session
· Expect to spend around an hour with me. However, if Baby does need to stop and eat, please know their comfort and safety is of the utmost importance to me, so Baby is the boss, ha!
· I am very comfortable working with newborns. I average around 25 newborns in studio per month year round (average of 250 babies per year) and enjoy my time with them!
· Always feel like you can ask a question.
· I will give you plenty of direction and ensure to communicate effectively with you. My job is to guide and lead you, so do not worry, I will make sure you’re comfortable. I know having photos taken can make some parents nervous, but I promise you’ll be very happy to have these images.
· Once our session is over, you’re welcome to feed Baby anywhere you’re comfortable doing so, and I am happy to help pack up, too. There is a mother’s room with a comfortable rocker if you’d like to use it.
After Your Session: What to Expect
· Your final balance is due the day of your newborn session. If you prefer to pay by cash or check, however, feel free to let me know in advance. Otherwise, I’ll send a PayPal invoice a few days before our session, and you may fulfill the invoice in whichever manner you’re comfortable doing so.
· Two weeks (14 days) after your session takes place, you receive gallery selections you via a private, password protected gallery. Your proofing gallery will have the top images from our time together. These are the images from which you’ll select the number of digital files that come in your package.
· Rush editing is available for an additional $200, so if you would like to receive your session earlier, let me know. J Kindly note the 14 days does not begin until you fulfill your final invoice.
· Here is a direct link to your contract if you have any specific questions. These are the standards and expectations I uphold for all clients as well as myself. https://form.jotform.com/80635171984160
SBP Practices Soft Proofing
· Light edits are applied to the top images of your session via soft proofing. Full edits such as skin smoothing, eye sharpening, teeth whitening, etc., are completed once you have selected your favorite images. Professionally enhanced final edits are finished three business days after you select your images. Business days are Monday – Friday.
Digital Files Available for Instant Download
Your final gallery is given through an online gallery in which you may instantly download your non-watermarked, full resolution digital images. You are responsible for downloading these images within 30 days and archiving them into the cloud.
Option to Add Additional Digital Files to Your Package:
If you are interested in additional retouched digital files, clients may purchase them once they have received the proofing gallery. All purchased digital files at SBP are full resolution. Please print as large as you wish. There is no obligation to purchase additional files; it is simply available if you’re interested in these.
$40 per la carte file
$150 for a grouping of 5
$200 for a grouping of 8
$350 for the entire gallery shown
Thank you for choosing me to photograph your baby’s session! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to notify me immediately. I want you to have an amazing portraiture experience. I know this feels like a lot of information, and I do not want to overwhelm you. Thank you again for your time and for choosing me!