Houston Newborn & Baby Photographer, Sarah Borchgrevink, shares tips for preparing for little one's cake smash and bubble bath session.
Cake Smash & Splash Prep Guide for Parents
Greetings! Thank you for choosing me to photograph your little one’s cake smash and splash! I am very excited to have them in the studio, or even on-location, for a gorgeous set of one-year portraits. Cake smash sessions are adorable and are a super fun way to celebrate the monumental milestone of your sweet baby turning one! Here is everything you need to know about our session together. A cake smash and splash are when baby smashes a cake followed by splashing in the tub! If you would like to omit the bubble bath (or prefer the bubble bath to the smash) let me know in advance so we may adjust session design. Most parents book in the studio because this ensures baby is happy and well rested since we do not have to worry about the sunrise/sunset light. My outdoor sessions take place right as the sun is coming up and right as it is going down so if you prefer outdoor lighting remember that nap times may need to be adjusted so baby is well rested for their session.
I provide the following for cake smash and splash:
- One hour of time and talent
- A white cake stand or cream antique high chair
- · Vintage quilt if outdoors
- · Rustic floor props for baby to sit upon such as a box or bowl
- · Farmhouse bowl for the bubble bath
- · Warm water & bubbles
Parents provide the following for cake smash and splash:
- · A cake of their choice (typically 9”)
- · Any specific décor or props you would like that are not seen in my studio
- · Balloons, streamers, cake topper etc. If you are bringing additional décor, let me know in advance so I may set aside more time for set up
- · Diaper cover for baby during their cake smash or a birthday outfit
- · Towel to clean baby up + extra outfit
When Do Cake Smashes Take Place?
Cake smashes are best done when the baby is 11 months old and not yet walking. This is also a great time to book your cake smash so you may receive your photos and prints before baby’s birthday party. Many parents like to use the photos for invitations so it’s best to plan wisely. Always give yourself enough planning time. There is a two week turnaround time for photos so keep this in mind when contacting me for your cake smash. I want this to be a great experience for you!
My Baby Portraiture Style
My favorite way to photograph babies is in a simple, classic and timeless scene. I like to avoid too many props because it detracts from baby and is distracting in the images. Feel free to peruse my portfolio in advance so we can make sure we’re a good fit for one another!
Here are sample sessions to view:
- · In Studio Portion of Bubble Bath
- · In Studio One Year Old Portraits & Cake Smash
- · In Studio Sitter Session Prop Styles
- · Outdoor Cake Smash at Telge Park
- · Adorable & Classic Baby Boy Cake Sunset Cake Smash
- · Cherry Pie Smash at Sunset
- · Pumpkin Pie Fall Cake Smash
- · Baby Girl Cake Smash in Historic Setting at Sunrise
- · Sunrise Watermelon Session with Super Cute Little Girl
Helpful Tips in Preparation for Baby’s Session
- · Let the cake sit in the car overnight so it is warm and easy for baby to get into
- · Avoid fondant icing – babies often dislike the texture
- · HEB makes wonderful 9” white cakes with buttercream icing
- · If using a colored icing remember this may stain baby’s skin; red velvet cake, for an instance, will also stain the baby’s skin and it will look like the baby is injured in the photos.
- · Bring a towel and change of clothes for baby
Thanks again for choosing me to photograph your baby! Let me know if you have any questions so I may assist!
Follow Sarah on Instagram or See what's new
Sarah Borchgrevink Photography is a Houston Newborn Photographer specializing in gorgeous posed newborn sessions. Her studio is located in Northwest Harris County. In addition to breathtaking baby portraiture, Sarah also offers stylish natural light family photography as well as dynamic outdoor maternity sessions for expecting mothers and couples. Sarah joyfully serves the entire Harris and Montgomery county areas including Houston, Cypress, Tomball, Spring, The Woodlands, Kingwood, Memorial & West Houston, Katy, Sugar Land, Pearland, Richmond, West University and Rice Village.